Feb 23, 2006

Shooting at Roseburg High



A school shooting
I thought it could never happen
not in my town
not in Roseburg
but I guess pain, anger and fear
are not bound by what I think
or by the population of a town

Our kids are safe in our schools, right?... Right?
I mean, this IS Roseburg.
Rural Oregon, timber town, family values
Isn’t that why we live here?

not ever again…
never… from this day on
will our kids be safe in our schools
the “it couldn’t happen here” sense of security is gone
stolen by a child in pain

violence can happen anywhere… any time
it happened here today

6 comments:

  1. Faye, I saw this on the news today.

    A generation of anger and inability to cope. I don't know what the shooting was about, but I'm glad you expressed your concern here. Nita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this on the news. Sorry to hear it happened... It really seems that people have lost the ability to deal with the pressures of life in a responsible way and don't seem to care about the grief and tragedy their conduct brings on others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a soundbite world, the gunshot is the ultimate soundbite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. I can not even imagine what everyone must be feeling like.. Like everyone else, I always hope everyday that my daughter is in school that nothing like this ever happens.. It is just sooo sad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear of your sad news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Faye,
    I'm a little late commenting on your PaD, but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened in Roseburg (and so many other places...). It shouldn't happen ever, anywhere - but it really stings when it's so close to home. My deepest sympathy to you and the whole, sweet Roseburg.

    ReplyDelete