Sep 25, 2006

Whale Watching

These are not great photos, but the subject was very exciting to me. When I headed up the Oregon coast last weekend, I had no idea this was the time of year for whale watching. I was sooooo excited when I just happened to stop at a spot overlooking the ocean and there were 5 Gray Whales feeding in the area.

This is the first one I saw and my heart almost stopped. She was so beautiful and graceful and almost directly below me. I just had time to snap a couple photos before she disappeared back down into the water.



This is a closer crop of the barnacles on her back.



The other whales were further out and I mostly just caught their spouting and small parts of their bodies.





PHOTOWANNABE, you said you were whale watching in the same area a few weeks ago. I hope your sightings were as exciting as mine.

9 comments:

  1. This has to be an awesome experience to have. I'd love to see some in person. Who cares if the shots arent perfect, just close your eyes and you can see it all again. These are awesome under the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faye, you won't forget this experience, will you? I remember when I saw ONE. I did't get a shot, so just enjoyed the moment. Nita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whales... Yeah what fun.. It is always sooooe exciting to see a whale out in the ocean :) :) I think your images are very nice... It is really difficult to get images of whales.. I know.. I have tried.. :) So enjoy yours cause they are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome experience! Perhaps you were lucky to get the good pics that you did! With wild creatures we have to take what they give us. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gone whale watching several times and have been lucky. Seeing these wonderful creatures is more than awesome: exciting, humbling, and spiritual for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exhilarating experience. It was my privilege to go out in Boston Harbor once just to the whales. What absolute joy it was!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faye, you got much closer than we did. The whales were playing hide and seek with us. We did get fairly close to one while we were on the sightseeing boat.
    Fab. pictures. These creatures are so magnificant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got to see a whale! That would be a dream come true for me. Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Faye,
    You have added great collection since I visited your blog.
    I also posted wheale shot on 8th Spetemer at my Sketch book which I scanned from old photo of mine.

    ReplyDelete