Nov 14, 2006

Mildred's Place

Those who visit my blog often, know I have a "thing" about old barns. Here is yet another one.

When Mildred Kanipe died, she willed her farm to the county. The county preserved the old farm and the buildings and made a county park out of it. Its a beautiful, peaceful place to visit with several old barns and tool sheds, acres of hiking and horse riding trails, beautiful old trees and peacocks everywhere. Its closed for the winter but when I stopped by to take some photos from the gate last weekend, the caretaker saw me and invited me in to "take all the pictures I wanted". He was a nice elderly gentleman with a wonderful southern drawl.

7 comments:

  1. Old barns are always neat. And this is a great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old barns have history and character, part of the appeal--plus they're disappearing and preserving them in photographs is smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely barn shots, I too love the old rustic element to them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The old barns are so beautiful! You do a great job photographing them and this one is no exception.

    We have many barns in our area too and I will be posting more as time passes. Our barns are of a somewhat different shape than your west coast barns. It’s great you are preserving them in photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great old barn. You can see the age in the boards. Different colors, different angles. The roof still looks to be in good shape - and that's probably why the building stands proudly, even yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great shot. Love the siding of barn.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There were some old barns near where I grew up in Michigan, and we loved to play in them. This past spring, I organized a road rally of sorts for a Boy Scout troop in Virginia, and we spent on night in an old barn. The boys had a ball!

    ReplyDelete