Jul 30, 2008

Koda

When I was sick I was off work a long time and spent a lot of time sitting in my recliner. We have a huge moose dog, Callie, who did her best to comfort me but is much too big to snuggle in my lap. I hadn't had a small dog for 30+ years and decided it was time... I wanted a "comfort" dog.

My daughter, sister and I headed off to our local animal shelter, Saving Grace. We went into a room with lots of kennels full of loud excited dogs all trying to get our attention. All but one. One little dog was sitting quietly just watching us. I visited with all the dogs but kept going back to the quiet one named Koda.

Before we left the room I had fallen in love and decided to take Koda home with me. The woman at the shelter showed me her history and warned me that she had been in 4 different homes in her year of life and she might have some training issues.

She definately had some training issues. Mostly she had bonding issues from having so many different owners, no doubt. She kept trying to get away from us. If the door was opened a crack, she wiggled out and was off running down the street like a shot. She would tolerate sitting in my lap if I put her there but never climbed up on her own and certainly never snuggled in. She had a "I'm tough, I don't need you" attitude.

But that was 5 months ago. She now understands that she is an important, adored part of our family and jumps eagerly into any available lap. And now you couldn't pry her away from our family with a crow bar.

As I write this I realize that I wanted a dog to comfort me during my illness and found a dog also needing to be comforted. A perfect connection. Thank You God. :)

Meet Koda, my special friend.

Koda

Koda

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I cried reading this!! You needed Koda, Koda needed you. A wonderfully inspiring story and she's so CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. une belle histoire, il a été d'une grande aide dans ta guérison. un bel hommage.


    a beautiful story, it was a great help in your healing. a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Koda is a sweetheart.... your story touched my heart, i am so glad you found Koda...

    we have a little dog and he brings a lot of joy into our life...

    stay well and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of tears reading this one!
    What a special story....and a lovely bond that has grown between you and Koda!

    And what a lovely dog!! Love tht first shot of her face....how sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story - I'm glad you found each other.

    The Broken man

    http://theblogofabrokenman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, lovely. I am so glad to hear that you used a shelter, and one with such a great name, too. We keep our dogs for a long time, but with dog lives being so short, we've gone through quite a few and, of course, the best ones are rescue dogs found in shelters. We've learned that it takes almost a full year for these canines to become fully adapted to their new environment, and the wait is so worthwhile. Our Maggi, now aged 6, has been with us for 4 years, growing up with granddaughter Olivia. Maggi still runs away if I pick up a broom and any large object brings back bad earlier memories for her. But, what an addition to our home...she's one of my best friends!! May you and Koda continue to love and comfort one another!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you got Koda. She needed you and got you and now has you. What a beauty she is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A story beautifully told. Koda is so adorable. Would love to give her a squeeze! Glad you visited today. Please come back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faye! I was an occassional visitor and now see that you are back! That is so special!

    And what a special dog you have found!!! And she has found you, too! Lovely story.

    More blessings wished for you always...

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a face she has! she looks happy and safe - knowing she's loved!

    I've always believed that animals find their way to us - not us to them.

    Your relationship started the moment she caught your eye. The homes before were just part of Koda's journey.

    This made me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Faye, what a beautiful story and a beautiful friend you and Koda are to each other. Brought tears. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely story! Koda looks adorable and much happy with your friendship. Certainly dogs gives to us pure joy and love!

    I also have a dog, Flora, and she was rescued when a baby by my daughter. She has 10 years old now. She is my great companion too and give to us much joy and love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful story Faye and she is a beautiful Koda....

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful story. Way to go Koda for taking care of our Faye. I'm thoroughly convinced God put dogs on this earth just to make us happy.

    On a related note, did you know that Native Americans believed dogs could smell sickness and disease and that their saliva was a healer? Pretty cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. a touching tale told so simply and beautifully.....Koda is a sweetheart and so are you :)

    ReplyDelete